27 May 2011

tokimonsta

I'm predicting very big things for TOKiMONSTA which is the nom de plume for Jennifer Lee, an LA-based DJ/musician of Korean extraction. She's just released her new mini-album recently and it's an experimental dance album that is extremely listenable. It has an old skool trip-hop feel to the drum patterns whilst the keyboards sound very modern.

Apparently she's been around for a bit now but this album is the first I've heard of her and I'm very impressed. It's quite a short affair being only 6 or 7 tracks in total leaving me hungry for more of her work and fortunately there's a few previous EPs that I can hunt down. It's not a floorstomper, rather a delicate and subtle blend but is all the better for it.

  
She also has acoustic guitars and traditional band instruments aplenty making this a really great crossover album. I've only hearda few tracks on Soundcloud at the moment so am looking forward to listening to this in full. Released on London-based Ramp Records, it's in the shops now. I think she's also in the UK at the moment. I saw a flyer in Brighton advertising her name. I'll investigate further.


Did I mention that she is incredibly cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment