10 May 2011

the singles bar

Here are a few singles out at the moment that have caught my eye...well ear if we're being pedantic.

Cat's Eyes - Face in the Crowd.


It's a bit Marc Almond-like but with plenty of Spector-ish over-production.

The Fixers - Here Comes 2001, Let's All Head For The Sun ep


Yet another Oxford-based band but surprisingly not folky, this is definitely pop that seems to me to draw influences as far afield as the Big Country/Glasvegas big guitar sounds to Brian Wilson solo album. I'm expecting big things from this band.

Hurts - Illuminated


This is the obligatory slower power ballad from the Manchester duo. I'm not sure about this although I bet it gets lots of airplay. I'm imagining airgrabs and wistful looks into the distance.

Barry Brown - Cool Pon Your Corner


This is a re-release of a superb song. For years I thought this was Horace Andy singing this. Their voices are so similar.

I've saved the best until last. I'll admit that I'm biased towards this band anyway seeing as they're from Brighton but this has some great Pixies-style riffs, a fresh image, great chemistry, a strong yet subtle lead vocal and a funny video to boot. Foxes - the Panda Bear Song.


No comments:

Post a Comment