22 March 2011

thousands

There's a really lovely feeling when you come across a new artist and the first track just blows you away. It happens quite often for me but that's not to say that the experience is in any way diminished. Each time I feel it, it makes me realise how important music is in my life, how lucky I am to be able to feel this way and how excited I get when I get all evangelical and feel the need to tell others.


 
This is such an occasion. There's a new album out by a band called 'Thousands'. They are a Seattle-based duo of Kristian Garrard & Luke Bergman and it's an acoustic delight. They sound a bit Mercury Rev, a bit Elliott Smith, Simon and Garfunkel maybe even Fleet Foxes but they are their own sound. It's a kind of delicate joy without being kitschy, cute or twee. The album has a church-hymn kind of feel to it and although it's often in the minor keys it's uplifting. The guitar playing is also a joy to listen to.

It's called 'The Sound of Everything' and is out this week. This is definitely my album of the month and I see that they play Brighton very soon. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment