09 March 2011

international women's day

To commemorate the day I thought I'd showcase a few of my favourite female DJs. Anyone who's seen DJs perform must be aware that it's a male dominated arena with a lot of testosterone-fuelled egos at times. The male DJs that I like are the ones who are not afraid to break with the norms and concentrate on the music, Hawtin, Steinberg et al. I do think female DJs do have a different perspective. I can't quantify it but it's definitely there.




Magda is a German DJ at the very top of the tree. One of my favourite minimal techno artists, she's not afraid to experiment as her Fabric album is testimony to. Her sound tends to have a deep, mellow feel to it with rich basslines that really make you feel like dancing to.


Keeping it minimal, here is Anja Schneider, also from Germany with 3 of her better known tracks. I saw her play live a year or two back and she stole the show.


Last up is another German via the UK and Austria, Cassy who is making a big name for herself with her deep house sound. This tune is so soulful, it's a bit of an oldie but in an environment where it seems that you need to keep the tunes in a fridge because their 'use-by' date is so short, this one stands the test of time well. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment