17 March 2011

faith no more

A bit of a double header with this post. Faithless have announced that they are to split. I'm not surprised and having bought, listened, re-listened and not really 'felt' their last two albums I think it was a long time coming. In a press release Maxi Jazz wrote "But, like when writing a song, you always just ‘know’ when it’s finished… this is and was the “Thank YOU And Goodbye’ tour"


They snuck up on the UK music scene and have been a massive and important band without achieving the record success. They've produced some achingly beautiful tunes that will stay with me forever. They've flirted with trance, trip-hop and electronica in their time and have been excellent masters of the melancholy. There has always been a disattachment with their tunes and with their live gigs. It's just not in their nature to "wave their arms in the air just like they don't care", rather letting the production do the talking. I saw them last year at Brixton Academy and although good I did get the impression that they weren't feeling the love. Ironic really as I was snogging a busty cute Czech girl - but that's another story.

Here they are with Crazy English Summer. Dido guests on this.

So long guys and thanks so much for the memories.

And in other news, George Michael continues his slide into non-entity with a cover of New Order's True Faith. I'm not going to link to it as I love the original, it didn't need covering and it depresses me that he has covered it.

As ever, minimal techno finds a way of soothing a troubled soul. Here's a lovely little EP that samples Derek and Clive. There's not enough Derek and Clive in techno.


1 comment:

  1. You know, I never 'got' Faithless. I think Maxi Jazz' moustache just pissed me off too much.

    ReplyDelete