31 March 2011

i hope they die before they get old

I see Adam and the Ants are reforming for a series of money-spinning gigs. I suspect - no, I know - that it will be just the old hits with some of his early solo stuff bolted on. As much as I love the band I shan't be going.  It's basically going to replace Gary Glitter (pre-PC World computer service) as the Christmas party gig of choice for housewives and office parties. Having seen him in interviews, I thought Marco Pirroni would not have sanctioned a reunion but I guess money talks. I did see on Sky Arts a recent reformed Sex Pistols gig at the Hammersmith Apollo and the Sex Pistols looked old, fat and too self-satisfied. The audience were all late-40s to early-60s, desperately clinging onto their youth of 35 years ago. True, they all looked like they were having a good time but it wasn't pleasant viewing. I'm not sure I'd like to see my childhood music heroes huff and puff their way through a song about smashing the system that they've grown tubby on.

A couple of years ago, I went to the reformed Specials gig at Brixton. Actually, I went 2 nights running and I was blown away by how good it was. I'd missed them first time around and along with the Stone Roses and Smiths were at that time the only bands I would happily have paid a 3-figure sum to watch. It was, in fairness, an awesome gig but then I saw them 6 months later and they did exactly the same set to exactly the same crowds and it had lost all the magic. I realised that they were jumping on the lucrative short-term nostalgia market to make a bit of money for their retirement. A part of me died inside and I really shouldn't have gone to see them. They were such an important part of my childhood and were angry, vibrant and spoke to me so clearly. They're now middle-aged men out to make some easy money. and will, sadly, join Madness and now Adam and the Ants as a Christmas party feelgood gig. If either the Smiths or Stone Roses reform, I won't go either.

It happens to a lot of musicians, they get comfy, they do the naff Gershwin covers album at the Albert Hall, the inevitable acoustic album, maybe a duet with a Country and Western star because they have nothing more to say. Stand up Paul Weller,Sting, Rod Stewart, Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello.

Nick Cave, on the other hand has never rested on his laurels. Grinderman was proof of this. They laid the ground rules out - no ballads about love, no piano and stuck to them to produce two modern masterpieces. He is also now an acomplished author, screenwriter and film soundtrack composer with Warren Ellis and (importantly) they dress the part too. David Bowie wrote the book on how rock stars should deal with middle-age and Nick Cave has been a grade A student.

I think I should get off my soapbox and back to the music. Young Parisians is my favourite Adam and the Ants song.


And here's a track from last year's Grinderman 2 album, Worm Tamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment