31 January 2011

something old, something new

Apologies, I've been away from my blog over the weekend. A slightly heavier than expected Friday night followed by an all day session of drinking - football - drinking - dodgy chinese takeaway on the Saturday and then me really paying for it on Sunday has meant that I really couldn't be arsed to post any music links.

I'm back now and just wanted to finish the theme from last week with an old, old record from my youth and then a couple of new records. I'll start at the beginning with possibly the most chilled song of my teens - 'Thieves Like Us' by New Order. Released as a single in 1984 then added (with its B-side) to the kind of best of compilation, Substance, this builds and builds like a wave that then crashes onto the beach as the lyrics come into play. The song then pulls back and forth as you are taken away on a pleasant chilled vibe. Great lyrics too.


And bang up to date with two more tracks. Here's one by PJ Harvey called 'The Words That Maketh Murder'. Does she need a lengthy introduction? I hope not as I'm not going to here. I did Beth Orton a week or two ago so no point overdoing it on lengthy bio's of Britain's best female songwriters. In this video, Polly is on top form with some Mary Margaret O'Hara impressions thrown in for good measure. 

And to finish some bang up to date minimal techno with a big Latin feel to it but also African. It's by Jose del Valle who hails from Seville (no surprise there then) and is a real grower. I was reading about the theory behind minimal techno recently. Apparently there are two forms: skeletal and massification. This tune is clearly the latter. Sit back and enjoy this chilled loveliness. This was out last week. CHOON!





No comments:

Post a Comment