14 January 2011

new cds

I popped down to Rough Trade in Brick Lane at lunchtime and bought the following albums:

Murcof - The Versailles Sessions
The Outdoor Types - One Legged Elvis EP
Andrew Weatherall - Watch the Ride
Damian Lazarus - Smoke the Monster Out
Actress - Splazsh
Lone - Emerald Fantasy Tracks
Fujiya and Miyagi - Ventriloquizzing
Ducktails - III:Arcade Dynamics
James Pants and Dam Funk - Chart Toppers




My 11 year old son and I have an agreement that when I drag him and his younger brother round the record shops, that I'm allowed a maximum of 7 purchases in total. He wasn't with me so I bought 9. I won't tell him if you don't. I'm especially looking forward to the new Brighton based - Fujiya and Miyagi album. I was a big fan of their last album and think they are very under-rated. I might try and catch them live if they are gigging soon. So far my list of must see bands includes Lamb who tour in May and hopefully Prince Buster. It's a list I'm keen to expand so any suggestions are gratefully received.

I'll also be listening carefully to the Damian Lazarus album and trying to spot any more Nick Cave samples in it. One of the tracks, Come and Play on the aforementioned album samples Red Right Hand. Possibly the first time ever I've heard Nick Cave on a dance record. Damian Lazarus also recently did a Fabric album but unfortunately it was overshadowed by the Shackleton album I bought at the same time so I end up comparing the two which is unfair on poor old Damian.


3 comments:

  1. What's the Weatherall Album like Lee?
    cheers for the link - recipricated

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I like it but it hasn't got any killer tracks on it. Quite moody and ambient, there's one or two foot-tappers in there and it uses a lot of different instruments, not just drum machine and keyboard which was a surprise. No doubt about it though, it's a grower. I've listened to it about 3 times and spotted different things each time which is a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That shackleton fabric album is pretty special eh?

    Max

    ReplyDelete