26 February 2013

saint etienne - 'only love can break your heart'

Some songs become so important to you that you get very protective and live in constant fear that a car commercial doesn't come along and steal its soul. The Foxbase Alpha album and in particular this track are so dear to me that I will probably have a copy of this with me when I depart this earth - in much the same way as the Egyptians took their most prized possessions. I know it's not the done thing but I prefer this cover to the original. I like to think of it as Neil Young writing the words and waiting for someone to nurture it and take it to places impossible to anticipate. You can add Bob Dylan to that list too.

I could...and have waxed lyrical about this song, that album many times and I will again but now I'm going to sit back and put it on loop a few times and sing along. There's worse ways to spend a Tuesday night by yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment