05 February 2013

morrissey announces two early re-releases

He's announced that 1991's 'Kill Uncle' and 1989's 'Last of the Famous International Playboys' will be re-issued later this year but with new accompanying tracks. Great stuff, indeed. Love him or hate him there's no denying that he can write a killer song. 

I remember (although not too well apparently) the first time I heard LotFIP. I was at Uni at the time and had stayed up to watch Night Network (I think). It was one of the first all-night programmes and was a mix of music, comedy and a perennially pissed Rowland Rivron. They had a part of the show where guest musicians would rate the new releases. I seem to recall that the 2 musicians in question reviewing Morrissey's classic were Michelle Shocked or perhaps Marcella Detroit - definitely American and definitely 'alternative' and I think one of those two. The other guest was a poodle rocker and may even have been Slash. The poodle rocker hated it and the alternative Yank loved it. I'm definitely with the lady on this one. It's a brilliant tune.




Edit - It seems that I was kind of right and yet nowhere near. I've actually found the clip on Youtube and it was Julia Fordham in one corner and WASP's Blackie in the other. Fordham grows more despairing at Blackie's bigotry as the programme rolls on. It's worth watching both parts of the video but here's a link to the part 2 with the debate about the Morrissey video, 2 minutes and 30 seconds in. Link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment