26 February 2013

althea and donna - 'make a truce'

I bought their 'Uptown Ranking' album recently, expecting a lover's rock meets radio-friendly reggae type of sound. In fairness, all I'd heard was the title track and as lovely as it is, it could never be described as "deep". I was very pleasantly surprised to discover a very spiritual album, much heavier in dub and with a positive message. I didn't have them down as Rastafarians either so that was a double surprise. The third being that they wrote all the songs themselves (although carrying on the tradition of the time of borrowing riffs and hooks from other contemporary tunes). If there is a criticism it's that their youthful female voices sometimes lack the gravitas to give it the full whack. I would love hear them to take a crack at a few of the heavier tunes now they are older. All in all, it's a lovely album. 


No comments:

Post a Comment