07 February 2013

brothers in arms

I'm not a huge fan of the Everly Brothers, for me their music was just a pale shadow of what Buddy Holly wrote and performed. It never moved me, I found it passe and it doesn't date well.  I am however, a big fan of Bonnie Prince Billy and he likes the Everly's a lot. I read recently an article in Mojo magazine where he practically gushed with praise for them. I discovered a great little video about the making of a tribute album where Billy works with Dawn McCarthy. I think it's a nice treat to see how these albums are worked out in the recording studios and musicians' homes and you get to see another more candid side to the artists. 

As an aside, I have long maintained that Bonnie Prince Billy could make a career out of playing frontier town doctors in edgy Hollywood westerns. He's got the right shape head and beard. Someone should tell him.


No comments:

Post a Comment