25 March 2012

pink floyd - if

Pink Floyd played a huge part in my formative years in giving me the confidence to explore music outside of the constraints of 3 minute pop. The one album that really left a huge impression on me was Atom Heart Mother, it still does in fact. The other albums can seem a little dated or maybe it's that I don't need them in my life as much anymore but A.H.M. is still a welcome guest in this household. It has the melancholy but less of the cynicism of the later albums and is without doubt the "warmest" too. Does that make sense? Here they are in 1970 playing an acoustic version of 'If'. The introduction is by John Peel who refers to them as 'The Pink Floyd'; they dropped the prefixing determinant shortly after. A little known fact is that the song was only really intended as a filler but as is often with these things is actually my favourite from the album. 



No comments:

Post a Comment