21 August 2011

sophie madeleine

Sophie Madeleine was another completely random discovery on Bandcamp and I am very impressed with both the quality of the music and of the production. Sometimes, with a lo-fi artist the sound can be a little too amateurish but this album oozes class with a delightful minimalist feel. Hats off to the mix and production team for a great job here. She seems to be from my neck of the woods but I am stuck in a loop of her website - facebook - twitter - bandcamp whilst trying to find some more about her. No worries, the important thing is the music and I can certainly point you in the right directon there.


Lyrically she is refreshingly free from the angsty female singer-songwriters of the 90s/early '00s and reminds me of an Eddi Reader album I used to have years ago. She sounds quite whimsical but without being syrupy MOR and she plays a mean ukelele. This goes a long way in my book, I can tell you. She released her new album at the end of last month and I shall definitely try to get hold of it in CD format. I always feel more of a kinship with a band or artist if I have something physical rather than a digital format file. I have no idea why.

My favourite track on the album is, so far, 'Battles'. It's definitely got something about it and I love the paradiddle on the drums.





You can read more and buy the album from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment