30 August 2011

and all that jazz

In the last few years I have really started to enjoy experimental music especially the exotic and minimalist ends of electronica but with that I'm also starting to appreciate jazz music. I'm still very much an absolute beginner to jazz and am looking at a few primers to help me learn more about it.

I wonder why now at the ripe old age of 42 I have only just started to show an interest in it. Perhaps it's best not to dwell on it and just embrace this change. There's still a lot that I find unlistenable especially with acid jazz and free form but if I may I'm going to play a very melodic piece that I discovered very recently written by one of the behemoths of jazz, Dizzy Gillespie and performed by another - arguably (so I understand) the greatest jazz musician of the 20th century, Miles Davis. This is 'A Night in Tunisia'.


No comments:

Post a Comment