21 April 2011

sade

I'm a big fan of Sade. She comes in for a lot of uninformed criticism about her music mainly, I think, on the back of her 80s output and how zeitgeist-y it was and the fact that some of the tunes haven't aged too well (see the Timmy Thomas blog post) but in my opinion she is a rare jewel. Her output isn't prolific and her media appearances few and far between but that's partly because she's allowed her musical career to take a backseat often and from what I can gather she is painfully shy. It does mean however that her albums are eagerly anticipated and the standards have been consistently high.


She has an ultimate collection out in early May and prior to this she's releasing 3 new songs and a remix of an old one in collaboration with Jay-Z no less. Here it is below. I'm not sure on this one as I'm not Jay-Z's biggest fan nor of the rap-remix type of affair they've turned this song into.


I'm on safer ground with this, also a new release. It's a cover version of Thin Lizzy's 'Still In Love With You'. There's all the trip-hoppy drums, the melancholic delivery, the unmistakable voice and crystal clear production that we all expect on here and the end result is a wonderful re-imagining of the original.


More details and the full tracklisting can be found here: http://www.sade.com/gb/news/


No comments:

Post a Comment