15 January 2013

omd - 'decimal'

One of my favourite bands from my formative years have announced a new album, the aptly titled 'English Electric' to be released in April this year. OMD were hugely important to me as a child, it was through them and the likes of the Human League that I discovered Joy Division (who they supported back in the day)  and Kraftwerk and really began to appreciate electronic music.  I love how they flitted between experimental to unashamed pop so effortlessly. If they had been from another country rather than the UK they would have been cited much more often as a great influence but I think they suffered somewhat from the sheer numbers of great bands in the UK at the time that were pushing the boundaries of music far beyond what anyone could have imagined. They're back and I for one am eager to hear the whole album. Here's a sample of the first track to be released so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment