10 January 2013

amanda palmer - 'no surprises'

I met a new friend tonight, we had a lovely conversation, I thought and the subject inevitably veered at some point in the direction of music. I mentioned this blog and asked them to pick a song and I promised to put it here. Their choice was most excellent too: Radiohead's 'No Surprises'. Rather than stick with the original I am going to opt for Amanda Palmer's version which features on her album of ukelele Radiohead covers. I have this album on vinyl and it's very dear to me, not least because it took over 2 years to arrive after I initially ordered it. I must have emailed Amanda and her record company and distributors at least 100 times in that period. No worries, it arrived and it was worth the wait. It also came with lots of extra goodies that I still have not touched. The tunes I must have played a thousand times though. 

Amanda has her critics - her often abrasive and confrontational nature, the spat with her record companies, paying of band members with hugs and kisses in lieu of money and that was after she raised funds for the latest album from donations. My own personal bete noire is her Twitter addiction. I used to follow her but it just became far too much. It seemed to merge and become white noise and that was something I really didn't (and couldn't) associate with Ms Palmer. For all her perceived faults - or perhaps because of them - she remains a great role model for female singer/songwriters, her songwriting is up there with the best and of course there's the voice and what a voice it is. I urge people to check out the demo she did of Creep whilst nursing a hangover in Germany. It's on the Radiohead covers album too and widely available on the net. She holds the long note at the end for what seems forever yet over far too soon. I'm really looking forward to seeing her again in concert in a few months time.

I also think she is very sexy. Am I allowed to say that? I hope she doesn't mind, it's meant with the best intentions. She's certainly not a conventional beauty but she has wonderfully striking features that seem enhanced when she shares with us her wit and intelligence. I'm rambling, let's get on with the song. I hope my new friend approves.


1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine how my life would be like with no surprises in it but I love this song

    ReplyDelete