14 October 2012

the flaming lips with neon indian - 'is david bowie dying?'

It's odd that when you witness history with your own eyes as with the Baumgartner jump this evening, it affects you in strange ways. I feel slightly euphoric and with that you hear and think of things slightly at a tangent to normal life. This is a case in point. The oddly beautiful new Flaming Lips album features this song which at first listen is almost impenetrable but with a bit of perseverance I'm now beginning to appreciate it. It reminds me of the David Lynch album last year in a lot of ways. The music is very of its time I think; disjointed and almost claustrophobic and normality struggling to be heard amidst the chaos. I do think Wayne Coyne is a genius but I'm now not sure whether I'd like to meet him. He seems to have something of the Roger Waters about him. And you know what they say...never meet your heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment