17 January 2012

kyrstyn pixton

The Premier Inn in Manchester isn't the most seductive of environments but I can still lie back and dream thanks to the Apple Mac, an internet connection and Bandcamp. Soothing my aching bones is this album from Krystyn Pixton, Portland-based singer/songwriter with her new album 'Embyrs'. i Discovered this a few days ago and have played it a few times since. I've also bought the limited edition album that includes all sorts of goodies - proof indeed that buying direct from the artist is a worthwhile way of doing business for artist and fan alike.

Ms Pixton plays electronic synth-pop with subtle trip-hop undertones. I've listened to this as background music and also with headphones on and am really impressed with the sound production at play. It remind me in part of the recent School of Seven Bells album but she cites the likes of Bjork, Regina Spektor and Massive Attack as influences so it should give you an idea where she is coming from with the album. I like it a lot, she has a strong voice that doesn't need to strain as she hits the top notes and there's a fair few catchy choruses too. It's radio-friendly without losing its credibility. She also steers well clear of the power ballads that are very in vogue viz Zola Jesus, Austra, PlanningToRock, Lykke Li. With 13 tracks on the albums you'd expect one or two duds but I don't think there's one song on there that hasn't deserved its place. I hope she hits these shores soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment