09 February 2011

two new albums

Can I recommend two new albums out this week?

Sea of Bees' debut album 'Songs for the Ravens' is a must-have. It's the work of Sacramento-born Julia Ann Baezinger. A voice similar to Leigh Nash from 'Sixpence None the Richer', she has all the twee-ness but the lyrics are darker and the music is fuller. A multi-instrumentalist, she plays everything that you hear on the album. 


I'm reminded of the School of the Seven Bells in it's arrangement but it could at a stretch have been an experimental second album by the Sundays (remember them and their seminal one album wonder 'Reading, Wring and Arithmetic'?). She's embarking on a round of intimate solo gigs and also supporting John Grant on tour. They're in Brighton next month, I'll go with CD in hand and ask her to sign it.


'Kammerspiel' is also a first album for Glasgow-based Conquering Animal Sounds. An almost-experimental electronic duo who delight in tormenting amateur reviewers such as myself because I'm finding it hard to stick a label on them. I'll go for the lazy option and some blurb from their record company who describe them as Fever Ray meets Bjork.

It's a fair comparison, up to a point but they are less flamboyant than the two comparative acts although an undercurrent of prophetic doom that characterises Fever Ray is also here by the shovelful. Personally, I'd also include in there a comparison to Amiina or Silje Nes as the music does get a little art-folky too.


p.s. I've been listening quite a bit to the 'When Saints Go Machine' EP and the whole mini album has left me with deja vu. Couldn't place it though but just realised where I've heard his voice before - it's a dead ringer for Steve Mason. Listen to the 'Boys Outside' album and tell me I'm wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment