14 February 2011

around the world

It's Valentine's Day so I thought I'd play some tunes with an international flavour. Hopefully these aren't too cheesy. I did for one silly second contemplate 'Zoom' by Fat Larry's Band but I'm trying not to scare my readership away!

By the way, if anyone's reading this blog please do let me know what you think about it, how it can be improved, subjects you'd like covered, that sort of thing.....

...back to the music. Tenniscoats are a Japanese band that have been going for about ten years now. They're a two-piece affair that play folky, guitar based music but sadly, have been a bit slow in releasing any new stuff of late. I hope they rectify it soon. I do often check their website but my lack of Japanese hinders investigation!


This tune is from the seriously under-rated Thomas Denver Jonsson, a Swede who has drawn comparisons with Bright Eyes, Jim White and others on the Americana scene.


Next we have Bebe who hails from Valencia. She's a complex character, often withdrawing from the public gaze so that she can distance herself from the stardom that she obviously finds difficult to get used to. Her music tends to be slightly downbeat, sometimes with electronic accompaniment and always with that Spanish edge to it. You notice it in the guitar playing and the way the beat keeps threatening to become flamenco. One downside to her music is that I find her a bit bland at times but not with this song.


And seeing as it's St Valentine's Day let's play something with 'love' in the title. This last tune is by young Lithuanian, Alina Orlova and is called 'Lovesong'. It's definitely not your typical ballad-y number. I discovered her music whilst on holiday in Kaunos last year and was  very impressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment