24 May 2013

sizzla - 'subterranean homesick blues'

It seems to me that Bob Dylan songs all sound better sung by other people. The one Dylan song I did prefer him singing is this. It's my favourite too, it's just so brilliantly observed and the video, shot in London behind the Savoy with a cameo part for Allan Ginsberg is iconic. It's as good a music video as you'll ever see. 

I came across this cover by Sizzla on a reggae tribute album to Dylan some time ago and Sizzla has done a wonderful job of making it his own whilst jkeeping the spirit and message of the song. Then I came across the video with Sizzla paying homage to the original too. This is what covering a song is all about. The reality TV driven karaoke pastiches make me want to tear my hair out sometimes. I do wish that just once, that one of those hapless fools would break free from Cowell's formula and go for Sizzla's approach.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment