21 December 2012

hammersmith gorillas

This blog entry is an unusual one in as much as it's inspired by one particular photo that I really need to share it, it's so wonderful. I can't work out if it's really naff or really, really cool. I'm leaning towards the cool. Love it.


I don't know an awful lot about them and can't say I've heard their music before but after coming across that photo I've done a little bit of digging on the internet and discovered they were a proto-punk pub band from err....Hammersmith(!) with heavy influences from the Who and the Kinks and the wider mod culture, as can be seen in the fusion fashion of modernist tailoring and glam rock flares. Here they are with, from an initial bit of research, their biggest hit. It's a heavier, faster, more garage rock version of the Ray Davies song. I'm not sure why they didn't get picked up by the punk movement in the same way as Johnny and the Thunders. Perhaps it was the suedehead sideburns - punk always did prefer rockers to mods.


No comments:

Post a Comment