27 August 2012

antony and the johnsons - 'cut the world'

This is the very recent live album that Antony Hegarty recorded in Denmark with the Danish National Chamber Orchestra. Hearing him sing his studio classics live for the first time throws up some interesting results. I was expecting a full-blown orchestral masterclass to rival Jim Steinman. Instead, it is hardly operatic at all and sounds almost stripped back with Hegarty's vocals cruising in 4th gear. Don't get me wrong; his voice purrs along beautifully and is perfect for this more intimate arrangement and ever so occasionally he blasts into his 5th gear later on in the album. I applaud his restraint and I think it makes for a more seductive experience. 

Of course it's his singing voice that really grabs the attention but he also has a very melodic speaking voice (well, he's a Sussex lad so that's a given!) when he delivers a few monologues on his views on the world, religion and his sexuality. This sounds pretentious but I think they are useful signposts for his music. This album is a must-have for all fans of Antony and the Johnsons.

Here is "You Are My Sister'.


No comments:

Post a Comment