03 July 2012

jesca hoop - 'the house that jack built'

I love that modern folk music has helped traditional music regain the respectability that was unfairly taken away from it around the mid-70s onwards. Furthermore, I think the key to folk music is, perversely, not so much around the music as the all-important storytelling. Jesca Hoop is a good example of this. 

She has a wonderful singing talent and her musicianship is top notch but it's the bittersweet lyrics that really come into their own on this her title track from her new album. Her songwriting style is probably best described as quirky although it sounds a bit of a backhanded compliment. Let me qualify that by saying that I mean that she doesn't have a traditional songwriting approach. Hers is more akin to Joanna Newsom or Fever Ray and, more often than not, has a surreal, almost ethereal quality to it. I think this Mancunian will go a long way.


No comments:

Post a Comment