26 May 2012

cairo - 'i like blue beat'

I heard this song once on Radio 1 on (I think) Peter Powell's early evening radio show way back in 1980, I was 11 at the time and I remember thinking just how good it was. It stuck in my mind over the years and I finally tracked down a copy in a record shop in Soho in the early 90s. I lost it soon after without actually hearing it again and it was only a few years ago that this tune started popping up on the internet. 

It's funny how certain songs stick in the mind and I distinctly remember what I was doing and where I was when I heard it too. This is all the more remarkable as I have huge gaps in what I remember from my childhood. Whether it's just that time has addled the brain or there was a group meeting of my memory banks and they decided not to recollect what was a pretty tough time for me, who knows but I guess it goes to show how important music has always been for me.

This is what could best be described as underground British ska and definitely marks a time when the lines between pop and ska were becoming more and more blurred.



No comments:

Post a Comment