06 March 2017

the brian jonestown massacre - 'groove is in the heart'

Their new album is an absolute beast and I mean that in the very best way. An incredibly big, hugely ambitious and wide-ranging album that left me quite stunned. I've listened to it 3 times and still don't think I've begun to scratch the surface of it. There's lots of their traditional heavy psychedelia but also a dance track or two and all sorts. There's also guest appearances aplenty with Tim Burgess, Tess Parks and various others. 

The chap at Resident Records in Brighton compared parts of it to Primal Scream and he's right but I also got a whiff of JAMC, Nick Cave, Floyd. It's certainly a great album with absolutely no quibbles from me. I'm amazed at how much great psychedelic music is being made right now and this is right up there. As good as The Flaming Lips latest and I don't say that lightly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment