09 January 2014

nick cave albums rated worst to best

Here's an interesting list from Stereogum. It's a (not quite definitive) list of Nick Cave's albums rated worst to best by writer Dan Lawrence. I try not to get too hung up on these 'best of' lists as it's just a bit of fun and ultimately futile to rank albums as 4th best...8th worst etc. I do like the way that Lawrence has approached the task and, like me, he's obviously a massive fan of Nick Cave. 

I have a few issues with it though. Despite much critical acclaim I still do not enjoy listening to his latest, Push the Sky Away as much as some of his other albums. I also question why Nocturama ranked so low yet No More Shall We Part so highly. These two albums compliment each other rather well and I see them as one album in two parts. And Murder Ballads only at number 8? This was a landmark album for Nick and the band and marked a huge turning point in his musical direction and for the target audience. This is nitpicking though and if I pursue this critique further I'll be guilty of what I have said I try to avoid - getting hung up on it.

I don't think I could rank them as Dan has, for a start I would also include a few of the peripheral albums that have been released either as compilations, live albums or solo projects. The soundtrack to The Road or The Proposition would have to be up there for me as some of his greatest music.

Please do have a look at the article though, it's extremely well-written and informative. It also gives me an excuse to post a Nick Cave tune. 


No comments:

Post a Comment