05 October 2011

bert jansch 1943 - 2011

I'm genuinely saddened to read of his death today. Although not a big fan of his work with Pentangle, I did have some of his solo stuff and some of the people that he influenced (Bernard Butler, Johnny Marr et al) have had a profound effect on my life.



Others far more qualified than me have written some lovely eulogies already so I shan't embarrass myself by attempting something substandard but in its place my memories of one of the most intimate gigs I've ever been to. There were the 3 master guitar-players: Marr, Butler and Jansch playing at the now defunct Sussex Arts Club in Brighton. They all took turns at playing solo stuff as well as all 3 of them playing some exquisite tunes together. You could see the veneration that Marr and Butler had for Jansch. 

Here they all are, recorded in 2003 performing together.


And I did come across a wonderful interview with Johnny Marr where he talks about the great man in an interview with Paul Morley.


This video is how I'd like to remember Mr Jansch. My favourite track I have heard him play.




No comments:

Post a Comment